Friday has arrived, like a snail fleeing a sunbeam. May you have a lovely weekend, and time to take in some reading. Here are my favorite articles from this week:
- Genetic tests show the complicated history of domesticating cats. A species other than the western wildcat (ancestor of all modern house cats) was making friends in China earlier than 3000 BC. This contradicts previous assumptions.
- The terrifying and somewhat insane history of pictures taken in Chernobyl years after the melt down. “Russian radiation is best radiation.”
- Some real life, cyberpunk mad scientist stuff right here. A neurologist experimented on his own brain to advance his ideas about brain implants and human enhancement.
- Someone did the math on just how hard it would have been to hide some of the most popular conspiracies. The sheer number of employees at NASA makes it very unlikely that the Moon landing was faked.
- Interesting article on the spectacle before us of the Republican party eating itself alive, and how exactly the phenomenon of Donald Trump’s rise came about.
And finally, in honor of David Bowie, I offer you this delightful video.
Toby Froud, acclaimed puppeteer, son of artist Brian Froud, and also known as THE BABY FROM LABYRINTH, made this sweet video while goofing around with the puppets he’d created for a short film.