Driving across Texas in a blizzard sucks. That’s why we stayed home for our Christmas vacation instead of visiting my parents out in the flat lands. This means I had a week to sit on the couch and read, punctuated with sessions of Mario Maker.
I read some really great stuff. And now there’s a new blizzard currently assaulting North America that will likely trap people in their homes!
If you’re looking for a book to take in while you wait out the latest taste of climate change, here’s a list of books and graphic novels I highly recommend (and affiliate links to buy them that help pay for my coffee), in no particular order:
- Aftermath, by Chuck Wendig – I’m generally not a fan of Star Wars novels, but this one is a lot of fun. Chuck Wendig is hilarious. Look for the Settlers of Catan joke.
- Ancillary Mercy, by Ann Leckie – The final book in the Imperial Radch trilogy, this is my favorite book of 2015. If you haven’t picked up the series, start with Ancillary Justice.
- Saga, Volume 5 – One of the greatest graphic novel series out there, Saga is a mind blowing space opera that I am completely addicted to. Things somehow mange to become even more fucked up in Volume 5.
- Maplecroft, by Cherie Priest – Victorian horror with a heavy Lovecraft bent. Lots of fun and fish people.
- Hellcat, Issue 1 by Kate Leth (new series by Marvel!) – Kate Leth is amazing and hilarious and this series might be everything I want in a female title character.
- Injection, Volume 1 by Warren Ellis – Read everything by Warren Ellis. Just do it.
- Kaptara, Volume 1: Fear Not, Tiny Alien, by Chip Zdarsky and Kagan Mcleod – Chip Zdarsky, artist of Sex Criminals, wrote a scifi graphic novel full of danger and dangerous weirdos.
- Darth Vader, Volume 1 by Kieron Gillen – I cannot believe how good this Star Wars comic is. Kieron Gillen’s Darth Vader tells the story of Vader’s discovery of Luke’s identity, and is full of heart wrenching tidbits that show just how far Anakin Skywalker fell. It’s fantastic, my favorite series of 2015.
And just for fun, my second favorite book that I read in 2015:
The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova – this is the best vampire story that I’ve read in a decade. This is a book for people who love libraries, and academic research, and slow burns towards utter disaster.