Here are some of my favorite articles and media that I came across this week, with some related bits for context.
Enjoy the weekend and stay warm!
- I could watch videos of movement on the sun all day. These magnetic arches are beautiful.
- Andy from College Humor has a side project illustrating stories from real role playing campaigns and the result is hilarious. And you can submit your own stories for him to turn into comic strips. My own group is probably going to send in the story of our
meat shieldwarrior losing his pants after pissing on a pit of fire.
- There were a lot of stories following David Bowie’s death about a new constellation being named after him. This did not make sense to many people. Turns out those articles were wrong, but mostly about terminology. David Bowie’s “constellation” is actually an asterism. Which is what the Big Dipper is.
- There have been a lot of much needed call outs recently about sexism in Hollywood and the difficulties female directors face.
Well, screw Hollywood. Vimeo has decided to take the matter into their own hands, and will start bankrolling women film makers. Brilliant business move.
- Women in early Christianity I’ll be honest, I’m still working my way through this article. It’s fascinating stuff that goes into women using vows of chastity as a means to gain political and financial freedom in the 1st and 2nd centuries CE.
- And finally, this Vine of a yawning bat: